I gave tests in all three of my classes today and they lasted for most of the period so, of course, that means it’s time for another edition of … Things That Interrupted My Class Today:
1. Two teachers seeking my expert advice on how to work the copier (“Remember, you’ve got to enter your code first.” “Ohhhh…”)
2. Three announcements over the intercom reminding teachers to turn in their grade disks so that report cards could be run. (They were due Monday.)
3. A female student (who had been begging for a piece of candy all morning) announcing loudly and only semi-accidentally to my classroom full of boys, “I neeeeed something to suck on!”
4. Two students needing to get pieces of electronic equipment from students in my class. (gently turned away at the door)
5. One students needing to “speak to” someone in my class “urgently.” Turned away at the door after a loud, fussy scene.
6. The School Secretary bringing my paycheck (Yay!)
7. An argument in the back of the room over how to spell “Missouri” (Which became somewhat heated).
8. A morning meeting for the Junior class where they were yelled at for not doing any Fundraising for the Prom and then signed up to sell 50/50 raffle tickets.
9. Approximately 12 Juniors throughout the day attempting to sell me and/or my class 50/50 raffle tickets.
10. Unsubstantiated rumors of some sort “Army Band” assembly set to take place during 4th period. (To which I replied, “I don’t care if the whole darn army band marches into this room and starts playing “Stars and Stripes Forever,” we are taking this test!”)